Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mis-heard (or 'Your bus will take me there')

I got a bit of a chuckle reading Hani's comment on the Madonna post. You can read it for yourself, but to recap:

I remember in school everyone had to pick any song and try to explain what the lyrics mean, and I picked (Like a prayer). Only when I wrote the lyrics, instead of writing (your voice can take me there). It sounded to me like (your bus can take me there), and I explained how the song is about her boyfriend the bus driver, and the whole class laughed, as I died of embarrassment.

The reason it was so funny to me was because I've also mis-heard (or misinterpreted) hundreds of lyrics. And I'm even willing to share one of mine.

In the song "Flashdance...What a Feeling" (by Irene Cara), I used to think that the line "take your passion and make it happen" was "take your pants down and make it happen". A Freudian slip, perhaps, but I know I'm not the first person to hear it that way. I still sing it like that from time to time. In the car, when no one is listening. Don't tell anyone.

Mis-hearing lyrics is such a common thing that there have been several funny books addressing the subject, including 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy and When a Man Loves a Walnut.

So who out there is brave enough to share their mis-heard lyrics? Do tell.

9 comments:

asoom said...

I think I have thousands of these!Ok here's one that I can remember off the top of my head.

Scar Tissue by red hot chili peppers

I mis-heard:with the buds I'll show that it's only you

Actual words:With the birds I'll share this so lonely view

In my defense if someone knew the actual words to this song without looking them up they are in the minority! I had discussions with people trying to figure out what the peppers were saying.

I'll come back with more as I remember them!

Anonymous said...

LOL Dave!! Me too! I'll have to dredge up some of them...

7aki Fadi said...

I sure do have one.

Blinded by the light, you know that song, for the longest time I thought he was saying “wrapped up like a douche” ...LOL... don't ask me why, but in my defence everybody heard it douche!! And I always wondered, why is he saying douche?

It's actually Deuce.

Anonymous said...

7aki, I always heard douche as well. :)

7aki Fadi said...

Yeah I think the singer has a speech impediment.

Anonymous said...

7aki, that would be Manfred Mann.

Hani Obaid said...

Lol, I'm glad Madonna's "bus driver" has his own post now !

Anonymous said...

I think it's title is "Beast of Burden" by the Rolling Stones, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I thought they said, "I'll never be you're pink suburban." I can remember thinking (I was probably 10), who has a pink suburban???
Emily

Anonymous said...

sorry- I have a typo in my last comment. "you're" should be "your". Sheesh... Some English teacher I am!:)